Baton Rouge man arrested in string of armed robberies committed with stolen vehicle

BATON ROUGE, La. (LOCAL 33) (FOX 44) - Deputies arrested a man who is accused of participating in three armed robberies within an hour.

Junior Polanco, 18 of Bernwood Drive, is alleged to be one of two men who approached three separate groups of people and robbed them at gunpoint.

According to the probable cause report submitted by the East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office, the robberies happened on October 5, 2017.

The first incident happened in the 7500 block of Pecue Lane. The two victims told deputies that a car pulled up to their house, two men got out and robbed them at gunpoint. The male victim was hospitalized after he allegedly attempted to fight one of the suspects.

About thirty minutes later in the 8500 block of Ned Avenue, two victims said they were in the parking lot of a business when two men wearing masks walked up to them, pointed guns and demanded money. In this case, the suspects got away with cash.

The final reported incident happened in the 2500 block of Gardere Lane. Three victims told deputies they were outside when a vehicle stopped and two men wearing masks got out, pulled out guns and demanded money. One victim was struck in the head several times with a gun when he allegedly attempted to fight one of the suspects. Another victim was also hit in the head when he tried to help his friend.

Deputies said they observed a Nissan Altima leaving the final scene. After running the plates, it was determined they belonged to a Chrysler that had been reported stolen. After leading deputies on a chase, the Altima eventually went off the road in the 8800 block of Coy Avenue and struck a parked car. 

Three men inside the vehicle attempted to flee, one of whom was arrested nearby. The man identified himself as the driver of the vehicle, which was also stolen, but said he had not been involved in the robberies. The name of the driver was not provided in the report.

Evidence collected from the vehicle led deputies to identify Junior Polanco as a suspect.

Polanco was located on November 2. During questioning, he allegedly admitted to being in the stolen vehicle but denied taking part in the robberies.

He was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison.

The third suspect has been identified, but the name was not provided in the report. 

Polanco, who admitted to being in the car but not taking part in the robberies, was booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on Thursday on two counts of armed robbery. He was held on $300,000 bond. 


Don't Miss

Trending Stories

  • WVLA Local 33 News

  • WGMB Fox 44

  • WVLA Local 33 News

  • WGMB Fox44 Baton Rouge

  • BR Proud Mobile App