Dr. Kris Lindsay with the Cardiovascular Institute of the South said smoking is one of the leading causes of preventable death in the United States.
“It can accelerate high blood pressure. It can cause cholesterol deposits in blood vessels,” Lindsay said.
Lindsay also said it can lead to heart attacks and strokes.
The American Heart Association offers the following tips to kick the habit:
- Set your “quit day” and sign the no-smoking contract
- Choose your method for quitting
- Do your research and decide if you’ll need medications to help you quit
- Make a plan for your quit day
- And finally, quit smoking for good on your quit day
For more information, visit The Cardiovascular Institute of the South’s Smoking Cessation page.