BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — Kids Orchestra in Baton Rouge is living up to its vision “to bring Louisiana together through music.”

Kids Orchestra was founded in 2010 for the purpose of giving elementary school students the opportunity to study music, learn an instrument and perform for audiences.

14-year-old, Renedra Bennett has been a part of the organization since she was five years old.

“When I first started kids’ orchestra, I wanted to play the violin but all the spaces where full. So, Mr. Sam introduced me to the bass, and I stuck with it,” said Bennett, “I actually didn’t choose the double bass, it choose me.”

She said music has helped her throughout her life in many ways.

Kids Orchestra Instructor Annie Carlson has taught Bennett from the very beginning. Carlson said music can open up endless opportunities for kids.

“Giving student the opportunity to learn an instrument where not every single elementary school has classes where they can learn a string instrument or a band instrument during the day. So having that after school program as an option, it opens up a whole new opportunity for kids,” said Carlson.

Bennett said because of music she has been able to develop ongoing relationships with friends.

“Music has taught me to stick with something, even when you can’t get it the first try, still keep going,” said Bennett.

Carlson said someone who dedicates that time to learning an instrument that shows that they are super dedicated.

If you would like to nominate a child fill out the Louisiana Kids form. For more information on Kids Orchestra click here.