BATON ROUGE, La (WGMB/WVLA)– As temperatures drop, firefighters have to fight more heating fires.
Here are some tips on how to avoid one from happening in your home.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, 43%of U.S. home heating fires were caused by space heaters last year.
Firefighters suggest placing heaters three feet away from any combustibles and do not plug a heater into a power strip.
Instead, plug it into an outlet on the wall to avoid it from overheating.
“Make sure you check on the elderly. A lot of them don’t have some of the means of heating their homes or doing things that are not
safe for their homes so go by and check on them to make sure that they are okay that their home are heated properly,” said Mark Miles, Public Information Officer with the Baton Rouge Fire Department.
If you have a hardship that leaves you cold, several resources are available including assistance from the Salvation Army that partners with Entergy for the program Power to Care.This provides utility assistance to seniors 60 and over or people with disabilities or a family that would have someone with a disability within that family,” said Major Donald Tekautz with the Salvation Army Baton Rouge.
Miles said to not use ovens as a heater in your home.