Chicken marinated in buttermilk, deep fried, and dipped in Steen’s syrup-based sauce? It doesn’t get any more southern than this!
Baton Rouge chef Jay Ducote takes us through this spicy and sweet recipe.
See this page for instructions on how to make the molasses mustard butter sauce.
- 2 cups of Shurfine buttermilk
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 tbsp of Shurfine salt
- 1/3 cup of Jay D’s BBQ rub
- Seasoned flour
- 1 stick of Shurfine butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup of molasses mustard
- 2 tbsp Steen’s syrup
- Debone and cut the chicken into 6 pieces
- Marinade the chicken in buttermilk overnight
- Preheat fryer to 325 degrees
- Season chicken with kosher salt and Jay D’s BBQ rub
- Toss chicken in flour and shake off excess
- Fry chicken in deep fryer until it reaches on the internal temperature of 165 degrees
- Toss with molasses mustard butter