BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) – DEMCO announced updates on outages and restorations for parishes affected by Hurricane Ida on Thursday, Sep. 2.
Customers will continue to see progress over the next two days, but for customers in remote or significant damage areas, restoration could take up to two to four weeks.
DEMCO has 48% of all meters back in service, cutting down outages to under 60,000.
CEO and General Manager Randy Pierce says that DEMCO has made significant progress toward restoring service, but still has a long way to go.
“We have very significant damage to our system. 60 broken and 100 stripped transmission poles, and 400 broken distribution poles (mainline infrastructure),” Pierce said. “We continue to assess single phase damage. We also have extensive line down throughout our service area.”
DEMCO has crews arriving from Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma and Florida along with contractors from over the country. The additional crews can help expedite the restoration with more coming.
“All substations are ready to receive power, many are using power switching technology until metering points are restored, and as soon as transmission damage is repaired and it’s safe to do so, we are energizing lines,” says Mark Phillips, Director of Operations.
East Baton Rouge, West Feliciana, Ascension and Livingston sub-stations are powered up using the switching technology until vital metering points are fixed, according to an official press release.
Parish updates are provided below:
East Baton Rouge: 35580 meters, 9480 out (26.6%)
- Waiting for power at the metering points at Flannery Rd., Terrell Rd
- Power is restored to Thompson Creek, Zachary, Dyer Road to Indian Mound, Flannery Rd. to Greenwell Springs and Harrell’s Ferry
- Most members in East Baton Rouge will have power restored this week, but an estimated 1,000 members are in areas that are hard to access. Those outages will take longer to restore since off-road equipment is required.
Ascension: 15064 meters, 9281 out (61.6%)
- The Airline substation has power and DEMCO is energizing areas in Gonzales, Prairieville, St. Amant and Galvez.
- The French Settlement substation is waiting for power at the metering point. Due to damage to infrastructure, outages in this area are estimated at one to two weeks.
Livingston: 45275 meters, 32500 out (71.8%)
- Severe damage to infrastructure in this parish, such as poles and lines down and stripped.
- There has been progress in the Juban, Watson and Walker areas.
- Live Oak to Watson is getting addressed Thursday.
- Denbury to LIGO estimated time of restoration is Sunday, Sep. 5 to Tuesday, Sep. 7.
East Feliciana: 6054 meters, 2796 out (46%)
- Working in the Clinton area Thursday to restore power to Olive Branch and Pride.
West Feliciana: 4513 meters, 31 out (5%)
- Working on restoration in Tunica, Bains and Elm Park areas.
- Remaining outages have accessibility challenges and will take longer to restore.
Tangipahoa: 628 meters, 626 out (99.7%)
- Outages in this area will take three to four weeks to restore.