BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The Louisiana Commission on Law Enforcement honored nine officers who died while in the line of duty in 2021 on Thursday.
Officers honored in the ceremony:
- Stephen Christopher Arnold (Detective) – Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Austin Spencer Bush (Patrolman) – Houma Police Department
- William Earl Collins, Jr. (Officer) – Doyline Police Department
- Trey Copeland (Officer) – Cotton Valley Police Department
- Charles F. Dotson (Sgt.) – Baton Rouge Police Department
- Adam Gaubert (Master Trooper) – Louisiana State Police
- Randy James Guidry (Officer) – Youngsville Police Department
- Martinus Mitchum (Reserve Deputy Constable) – 2nd City Court of New Orleans Constable’s Office
- Theresa Elizabeth Simon (Sgt.) – Slidell Police Department
The commission said one K-9 will also be honored — K-9 “Ivar” from Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office.
Two officers honored were from the Baton Rouge area — BRPD Sgt. Charles Dotson died in January 2021 of COVID-19 complications and State Police Master Trooper Adam Gaubert was shot to death by a man on a crime spree in October 2021.
Gaubert was in his patrol unit in Ascension Parish when a 31-year-old homicide suspect on the run killed him, according to State Police. The suspect was later booked and charged.
The Medal of Honor ceremony took place at Louisiana’s Old State Capitol at 2 p.m. on Sept. 29.