BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The state’s Department of Education has started accepting applications for food service program sponsors now through April 15th.
The department said eligible agencies and organizations can apply for the federally funded 2022 Summer Food Service Program (SFSP), which provides meals to children during the summer months.
The program can provide meals to the following:
- Any child aged 18 or younger
- Anyone over the age of 18 who is determined by a state or local educational agency or a local public education agency to be mentally or physically disabled
- Anyone who participates during the school year in a public or private nonprofit school program established for the mentally or physically disabled
Eligibility may also be determined by census information, via use of site-level Community Eligibility Provision (CEP) information or by use of individual eligibility of children, according to the Louisiana Department of Education.
Sponsors in this program can receive financial assistance to help with the cost of obtaining, preparing and serving meals, according to the department. Additionally, sponsors must provide a capable staff, managerial skills and food service capabilities.
“A sponsor may provide its own meals, purchase meals through an agreement with an area school, or contract for meals with a food vendor,” according to the department.
The Louisiana Department of Education lists the following as sponsor examples:
- Public or private nonprofit schools
- Local, municipal, parish, tribal or state governments
- Private nonprofits
- Public or private nonprofit camps
- Private or nonprofit universities or colleges
Potential sponsors must complete training before applications can be approved. For more about training, click here. Upcoming training can be found under the “training” tab.
The application checklist can be found by clicking here.
More information about this program can be found by contacting the Department’s Division of Nutrition Support by calling 1-877-453-2721 or 225-342-9661 or emailing email@example.com.