MONROE, La. — A Monroe man has been arrested and is facing one count of Simple Cruelty to Animals after deputies say he hit a Ouachita Parish Sheriff’s Office K-9 in the face with a bundle of Mardi Gras beads.
According to arrest reports, the OPSO deputy and K-9 were working the Krewe of Janus Mardi Gras parade. During the parade, 22-year-old Vernon Cotton, who was riding on a parade float, threw a bundle of Mardi Gras beads at the K-9 and struck her in the face. The deputy states that the bundle of beads was approximately the size of a basketball and weighed 3 lbs.
The report states that Cotton intentionally threw the beads at the K-9 and at that time, the deputy and K-9 were 10 feet away from the float with no civilians nearby.
When questioned by the deputy, Cotton stated: “That’s my bad.”
Cotton was arrested and taken to the Ouachita Correctional Center where he was booked on one count of Simple Cruelty to Animals. He has since been released.
- DHS: Biden administration will pause some US deportations for 100 days
- Youngsville partnering with private landowners to build retention ponds
- Crowd attacks Democratic Party HQ in Portland, 8 arrested
- Kamala Harris’ AKA sorority sisters react to her Vice Presidency
- Department of Homeland Security suspending new enrollments for Remain in Mexico program