No King of Carnival: Rex announces cancellation of ball

Louisiana News

FILE – In this Feb. 11, 2018, file photo, float riders toss beads and trinkets during the Krewe of Thoth Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans. There won’t be any parades on Mardi Gras or during the weeks leading up to it because they just can’t fit within restrictions to slow the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, a city spokesman said Tuesday, Nov. 17, 2020. The 250-person cap on outdoor crowds is “a hard number. You can’t have traditional parades with that small a group,” city spokesman Beau Tidwell said. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert, File)

NEW ORLEANS, La. (WDSU)- It’s official. There will be no King of Carnival named in 2021.

Rex Organization sent an email to its members that it is canceling its ball due to the coronavirus pandemic.

New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell announced earlier this week that no parade of any kind would be held.

Ben Dupuy, head of public relations with Rex, confirmed that no king or queen of Rex would be named.

Since the founding of the Rex Organization in 1872 its traditions have helped define Mardi Gras.

Rex’s proclamation invites his subjects to the celebration of Carnival. He toasts the mayor on the parade route each year since 1907.

This is not the first time Rex has not announced royalty.

There was no King or Queen of Rex during the years of World War I, World War II, or the year of the Korean conflict.

LATEST POST:

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories