BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The State Fire Marshal’s Office is warning Louisiana residents of the potential dangers of using heat lamps to keep outdoor pets warm. This comes after a barn fire sparked by heat lamps killed seven horses in north Louisiana this week.
“Heat lamps seem like a simple solution, but in reality, they’re a fire hazard similar to a space heater that are unfortunately left unattended frequently,” State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning said. “These lamps being placed close to bedding and left on for extended periods of time are not only dangerous for the animals you’re trying to warm, but if a fire starts, you’re jeopardizing your property and your family’s lives too.”
Two other heat-lamp related fires broke out this week in Louisiana, according to SFM.
One fire happened in Houma, and a dog died after the heat lamp its owner used to keep it warm caught on fire.
In another case in Livingston Parish, three people were injured trying to escape a fire caused by a heat lamp.
“The best plan of action for protecting pets from frigid temperatures is to bring them inside,” Browning said. “For livestock and larger animals, there are various ways to provide warmth with extra bedding and blankets. We encourage everyone to use this opportunity to reevaluate their preparedness for extreme cold weather and alter your warming game plan now.”
- WATCH: Hear shots ring out killing law enforcement officer at basketball game in Louisiana
- WATCH: Police in Louisiana give update on slain officer fatally gunned down at basketball game in Louisiana
- Officer shot to death at high school basketball game in Louisiana, suspect in custody
- Lady Gaga’s French bulldogs found safe; dog walker expected to recover
- Police chief in Louisiana arrested on malfeasance in office & stolen firearms charges