State Fire Marshal’s Office warns of dangers of heat lamps after horses die in barn fire

Louisiana News

(Courtesy of Shutterstock)

BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The State Fire Marshal’s Office is warning Louisiana residents of the potential dangers of using heat lamps to keep outdoor pets warm. This comes after a barn fire sparked by heat lamps killed seven horses in north Louisiana this week.

“Heat lamps seem like a simple solution, but in reality, they’re a fire hazard similar to a space heater that are unfortunately left unattended frequently,” State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning said. “These lamps being placed close to bedding and left on for extended periods of time are not only dangerous for the animals you’re trying to warm, but if a fire starts, you’re jeopardizing your property and your family’s lives too.”

Two other heat-lamp related fires broke out this week in Louisiana, according to SFM.

One fire happened in Houma, and a dog died after the heat lamp its owner used to keep it warm caught on fire.

In another case in Livingston Parish, three people were injured trying to escape a fire caused by a heat lamp.

“The best plan of action for protecting pets from frigid temperatures is to bring them inside,” Browning said. “For livestock and larger animals, there are various ways to provide warmth with extra bedding and blankets. We encourage everyone to use this opportunity to reevaluate their preparedness for extreme cold weather and alter your warming game plan now.”

LATEST POSTS

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories