HAMMOND, La. (BRPROUD) – Three people were shot after a Hammond High graduation ceremony on Thursday night.

The shooting took place at Southeastern Louisiana University.

The Hammond Police Department and members of the university took part in a joint news conference at 11 a.m.

Southeastern University Chief of Police Michael Beckner confirms that Trent Thomas, 20, of Hammond was taken into custody minutes after the shooting.

Thomas is charged with three counts of Attempted Second Degree Murder, Possession of a Firearm on a Gun Free Campus and Obstruction of Justice.

The 20-year-old is being held in the Amite Parish Jail.

The Hammond Police Department, Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office and Louisiana State Police assisted with this investigation.

Tangipahoa School Superintendent Melissa Stilley then stepped up to the microphone and said that “we want justice to be served in this situation.”

Superintendent Stilley asked for prayers for the families and victims that were impacted by this shooting.

Hammond Police Chief Edwin Bergeron then went into what happened on Thursday night.

Chief Bergeron said that at some point there as an altercation between Trent Thomas and another group of people.

One member of that group was an unidentified juvenile whom Hammond PD considers a person of interest in this case.

Bergeron confirms that there were three shooting victims and they were innocent bystanders in this case.

All three of the shooting victims have been released from the hospital.

The fourth person who sustained an injury during this incident did so while trying to escape the area.

That shooting victim remains in the hospital in stable condition.

Hammond Police Chief Edwin Bergeron does believe there will be more arrests in this case.

The investigation is centered around the potential of gang affiliation being a reason for this altercation.

Bergeron says that at least ten shots were fired, but no definitive number is available at this time.

The Hammond PD Chief believes that at least two people discharged their weapons at the scene.

The investigation into this altercation remains ongoing.