SHREVEPORT, La. (KTAL/KMSS) – Strong storms and possible tornadoes brought widespread reports of damage and power outages across the ArkLaTex late Tuesday night.
As of 9:30 p.m. Wednesday, SWEPCO reported more than 12,600 in northwest Louisiana remained without power. According to data aggregating all electric utilities in the region, straight-line winds associated with the storms likely knocked out power to 25% of all power customers in most of East Texas and Northwest Louisiana along the I-20 corridor. More than 32,000 in Caddo Parish and another 11,000 in Bossier Parish lost power late Tuesday night.
The Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office is reporting power lines down on Old Plain Dealing Road in Benton. Deputies are responding to several locations where downed trees and damage have been reported in Benton, Haughton, and South Bossier.
Some of the most significant reports of damage are coming out of South Bossier in Golden Meadows, Plantation Trace, and surrounding areas, including the South Bossier Mobile Home Park off Barksdale Boulevard. That’s where Bossier City police and fire have set up a mobile command center.
The city is also setting up a shelter at the Bossier Civic Center for anyone displaced by the storms.
In Caddo Parish, radar indicated rotation was observed starting around 9:45 p.m. west Southern Hills in South Shreveport around 9:45 p.m., tracking through southeast Shreveport near 70th Street before crossing over into southern Bossier City as the storms moved through before moving on toward Haughton and then weakened near Doyline around 10:15 p.m.
Other rotations tracked on radar Tuesday night:
- Caddo-Bossier: Rotation formed west of Benton and weakened 4 miles NE of Benton from 9:45 to 10 p.m.
- N Caddo-Bossier: Rotation formed near Hosston and weakened as it crossed the Red River ENE of Haughton, 9:55 to 10:10 p.m.
- DeSoto: Rotation formed near I-49 south of Hwy 84 east of Mansfield and weakened as it crossed Red River, 10:10 to 10:20 p.m.
- Red River & Bienville Parishes: Rotation formed south of Ninock near Bossier-Red River Parish line and moved ENE to Castor and on to Bienville and then weakened, 10:15 to 10:45 p.m.
- Nevada County, AR: Rotation formed just SSE of Prescott and moved NNE near and just east of Prescott, weakening as it approached the Nevada-Clark county line, 10:30 to 10:40 p.m.