BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — Thirteen local activists who were founding members or are current members of the North Baton Rouge NOW Blue-Ribbon Commission will receive the Acie J. Belton Life Achievement Award.
The award is named after civil rights icon and Scotlandville native Acie J. Belton, who founded the Baton Rouge Second Ward Voter’s League and served as a member of the Metro Council.
The following people received the award:
- Sateria Tate-Alexander
- Bradley Brown
- Dezmion Barrow
- Gary Chambers Jr.
- Eugene Collins
- Cleve Dunn, Jr.
- Jamar Ennis
- Dr. Tiffany Franklin
- Dr. Leslie T. Grover
- Dr. Reva Hines
- Burnell Williams
- Dr. Lue Russell
- Myra Richardson
- Dr. Joyce Plummer
- Dr. Cheria Lane
- Teacher who disputed George Floyd’s death is placed on leave
- Family members in Louisiana seeking justice, saying an accused killer is now living with victim’s ex and children
- Officials in Louisiana find 175 dogs living in one home, violating parish’s cruelty ordinance
- LIVE: White House COVID-19 response team holds briefing as US approval of J&J vaccine nears
- You may have to a wear mask longer than anticipated even with COVID-19 vaccines