SLIDELL, LA (WGNO) — The Saint Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office says it arrested a man during a traffic stop after discovering drugs and drug money inside his pickup truck.
Deputies say they pulled over a Chevy Silverado pickup truck a little before midnight on Thursday night along Interstate 12 in the Slidell area. They say the driver gave both written and verbal consent for the deputies to search the truck.
Inside of a hidden compartment in the pickup bed, deputies say they found 50 pounds of cocaine and $10,930 in cash that the believe is all drug money.
They arrested 37-year-old Fabian De La Cruz Gonzales of Alabama. They say the suspect told them that he was driving from Houston to his home in Birmingham. He faces drug charges as well as improper lane usage and driving without a license.
Deputies say they confiscated the cocaine, money and truck.
- Breeder euthanizes 21 dogs instead of turning them over to inspectors, AG says
- Tiger at Zoo Knoxville tests positive for coronavirus
- Trunk or Treat to be hosted by Louisiana senator
- AG: Former police officer in Louisiana arrested for alleged child sex crimes, including first-degree rape
- LPSO: Search warrant leads to counterfeit money and items used to produce it, 4 arrested