6-year-old overdoses on THC, mom is asking for safer packaging

News

"It was one of the scariest moments of my life and I never want another parent to go through that."

Morgan McCoy

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (BRPROUD) – One mother has questions about why THC is packaged in a way that might be appealing to children?

Morgan McCoy’s 6-year-old daughter consumed 50mg of THC after finding it in a dresser.

McCoy’s 6-year-old daughter left the pool where her father was and went to look for her clothes when she came upon the package seen below.

Morgan McCoy stresses that what led to this incident was a series of unfortunate circumstances.

The THC gummy belonged to an in-laws’ friend who had gone into the same room that McCoy’s daughter normally stays in to change.

The friend put the THC bag in the dresser between some clothes while they went to change.

That is where Mccoy’s daughter found and consumed the THC gummy.

The friend was one of between 30 and 40 friends visiting that weekend.

Morgan McCoy returned to the home where this all happened after visiting her sister at another home.

A few hours passed and nothing seemed out the ordinary until a parent told Morgan McCoy that her daughter may have eaten a THC gummy.

Mccoy immediately went to find her daughter and found that she could not open her eyes.

He daughter was completely non-responsive and after lying her down she kind of braced herself like she felt like she was falling.

After 911 was called, the 6-year-old’s knees began to seize.

The 6-year-old and her parents would spend a worrisome night in the hospital.

Morgan McCoy says, “It was one of the scariest moments of my life and I never want another parent to go through that.”

The 6-year-old is ok now, no one was charged and this accident has pushed McCoy to work for regulation of this market.

McCoy has called local, state and national leaders in an effort to prevent what she calls, “companies targeting our kids with what can be deadly doses of THC.”

McCoy provided another example of how THC is packaged below:

In contrast, McCoy shows below what labelling could look like when you purchase it from a pot dispensary.

Along with regulating how THC is marketed, McCoy is for the legalization, regulation and taxation of marijuana.

In case you were wondering whether it is possible to “overdose” on marijuana, the CDC has this to say, “a fatal overdose is unlikely, but that doesn’t mean marijuana is harmless.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories