HIALEAH, Fla. (AP) — Two people died and an estimated 20 to 25 people were injured in a shooting outside a banquet hall in South Florida, police said.
The gunfire erupted early Sunday at the El Mula Banquet Hall in northwest Miami-Dade County, near Hialeah, police told news outlets.
The banquet hall had been rented out for a concert. Three people got out of an SUV and opened fire into a crowd outside with assault rifles and handguns, police director Alfredo “Freddy” Ramirez III said. Authorities believe the shooting was targeted.
“These are cold blooded murderers that shot indiscriminately into a crowd and we will seek justice,” Ramirez said in a tweet.
Two people died at the scene, police said. As many as 25 people went to various hospitals for treatment.
No arrests were immediately announced.
“This is a despicable act of gun violence, a cowardly act,” Ramirez told the Miami Herald.
“This type of gun violence has to stop. Every weekend it’s the same thing,” Ramirez said during an early morning news conference.
Gun violence ushered in the Memorial Day weekend in South Florida when dozens of shots wer e fired outside another gathering in Miami’s Wynwood area. The shooting late Friday killed one person and injured six others.
- Child tax credits: IRS unveils tool to check eligibility, manage monthly payments
- Wednesday Night: Areas of fog overnight; Hot and humid with spotty storms Thursday and Friday
- Baton Rouge highlighted in national effort to curb gun violence
- $20 million in drainage projects approved by Baton Rouge Metro Council
- AP Top 25 Podcast: Home or bowl? Tweaking CFP expansion plan