Students at local elementary school being ‘dismissed immediately’ after natural gas scare

News
BRFD_1550143857992.JPG

BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) –

UPDATE:

The East Baton Rouge Parish School System is letting students at Cedarcrest – Southmoor Elementary School out early after the earlier natural gas scare.

ORIGINAL:

The Baton Rouge Fire Department was called to a local elementary school after someone smelled natural gas.

Firefighters arrived at Cedarcrest – Southmoor Elementary School and began investigating the source of the odor.

The odor of natural gas was coming from one classroom.

According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, Firefighters “found that the children in the classroom had been moved to the gym by the staff.”

A hazardous materials unit was called in and found no natural gas.

Further investigation found “that the natural gas odor was coming from a malfunctioning HVAC system.”

A maintenance employee at the school turned off the natural gas supply to that unit.

The hazardous materials unit gave the ok and students are now back in the classroom.

Cedarcrest – Southmoor Elementary School is located at 10187 Twin Cedars St.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories