BATON ROUGE, LA (LOCAL33) (FOX44) – The American Heart Association is encouraging you to eat less salt in honor of ‘More Herbs, Less Salt Day’.
August 29 is More Herbs, Less Salt Day.
You can eliminate salt from your diet by flavoring foods and meals with herbs.
Local Chef and American Heart Association Volunteer Jeremy Coco said pesto is a heart healthy ingredient that will rock your taste buds.
BASIL PECAN PESTO:
2 cups Fresh Basil Leaves
4 Ounces Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 Cloves Garlic
1 Ounce Louisiana Pecans
1 Ounce Fresh Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1) Place oil, garlic, pecans, and fresh basil into a blender or food processor.
2) Turn on blender or food processor and mix until mixture is smooth (about 30 seconds).
3) Stop blender or food processor and add the fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano
4) Turn on briefly to incorporate the cheese
5) Turn off the food processor or blender and remove finished pesto and enjoy.