LARGO, Fla. (WFLA) – Police arrested the owner of an Oldsmar barbecue restaurant after he allegedly beat up a man who wrote a negative review about his establishment.
Daniel Ahrens, 60, who owns Georgia Boy’s Bar-B-Que, was arrested for simple battery and booked into the Pinellas County Jail on Tuesday.
According to an affidavit, the victim had received a number of calls and texts from Ahrens threatening to “beat his a**” about a “restaurant review.” The victim appears to be the son of Ahrens’ girlfriend.
Police said the victim went to Ahrens’ home in Largo to discuss the threatening texts with his mother. When she opened the door, Ahrens allegedly shoved her out of the way and began chasing the victim around in the road until the victim tripped and fell on the ground. Police said Ahrens “jumped on top of him and struck him several times while the victim covered his face with his arms.” The victim had a large scrape on his knee from the fall.
It’s unclear how Ahrens determined who wrote the review. Yelp says the business “is being monitored by its support team for content related to media reports.”
Online jail records show Ahrens was arrested for simple battery and booked into the Pinellas County Jail. He was also arrested in July for domestic battery by strangulation, aggravated domestic assault and criminal mischief.
He was released Wednesday morning after posting $500 bond.
- Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Office hoping to identify three suspects who stole tools, other items from vehicle in Holden
- Jared Cook: Bridgewater’s positivity got the Saints’ offense through uncertain times a year ago
- How Trump plowed through $1 billion, losing his cash advantage
- Lincoln Parish Sheriff’s Office issues warning about a new telephone scam
- Orgeron: LSU QB Myles Brennan is “questionable” for the South Carolina game Saturday