GONZALES, La. (BRPROUD) – All baseball and softball parks in Ascension Parish are back open.
The parks are for practice sessions only, according to Ascension Parish President Clint Cointment.
“The Governor has decreed that baseball and softball are non-contact sports,” said Cointment. “After reviewing the recommendations of the Louisiana State Fire Marshal and consulting with our recreation department, I am comfortable reopening the parks for team practice, effective immediately.”
The parks will be open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays with leagues having priority use from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.
According to the parish, “weekend play will be free play with the Parish of Ascension reserving the right to rent the fields to private organizations.”
Under no circumstances are scrimmages allowed on any of the Ascension Parish fields or parks.
If you are found scrimmaging, you will lose your practice slot.
Ascension Parish encourages the public and organizations to adhere to the following recreation guidelines:
1. No Dugouts- dugouts are off-limits; players’ equipment can safely be hung on the fencing with a minimum distance of 6 feet apart.
2. All drills should limit player lines to a maximum of 5 players, with players still maintaining 6 feet physical distance allowance.
3. Balls should be swapped out frequently and sanitized properly. No shared equipment beyond balls. Players should have their own glove, helmet, and bat.
4. All participants should bring sanitizer and sanitize frequently. (e.g. hands, equipment, and surroundings)
5. Bleachers are off-limits. Spectators should remain in their vehicles, drop participants off, or bring their own seating to maintain 6’ physical distance.
6. No tag-out plays are permitted. The 6’ physical distance regulation should be maintained at all times if possible.
7. Coaches and players’ physical contact should be as limited as possible. No handshakes, high fives, or hugs allowed.
8. Multiple team use per field restrictions: the next practice slot participants should not enter the field area until the previous slot participants have exited. Please adjust your practice slot to end 10 minutes earlier to exit for the next team.
9. No post-practice huddles, speeches, or talks. Please make your exit from the fields in a timely fashion.
10. Individuals should remove all trash from their areas and dispose of properly. (This should always be the practice.)
11. All participants should use extreme caution with their health. Do not allow anyone – parent, coach, or player – to participate if they have a temperature or continuous cough.
12. Face masks are strongly recommended for all.
13. Restrooms will be available but “at your own risk,” as the recreation department is not responsible for restrooms after business hours.
14. Scrimmages are strictly prohibited. Teams not adhering to this will be removed from their practice slot.