BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) – Billboards across the Baton Rouge area are paying homage to African-American ‘firsts’ in their fields throughout the month of February in honor of Black history month.
“Black History Month celebrates the achievements and contributions of African Americans in our nation’s history,” said Sean Reilly, CEO of Lamar Advertising Company. “We are proud to use our digital billboard network to honor and raise awareness of African Americans who may not be as well-known, but whose achievements were no less remarkable.”
Throughout the month of February, Lamar will feature the following prominent African- Americans on its digital billboards:
▪ Guion Bluford: First African American in space
▪ Gwendolyn Brooks: First African American Pulitzer Prize winner
▪ Juanita Hall: First African American Tony winner
▪ Mary Eliza Mahoney: First African American nurse
▪ John Baxter Taylor Jr: First African American Olympic Gold Medalist
▪ Booker T. Washington: First African American on a U.S. postage stamp
Close to 600 billboards are on display in more than 60 markets across the United States.