BATON ROUGE, La. (LOCAL 33) (FOX 44) — Firefighters battled a building fire that started when stray sparks from a cutting device landed on boxes Saturday afternoon.
The fire started on Oak Villa Boulevard, near Tom Drive, at around 12:47 p.m. Contractors were working to remove a roof damaged from a recent tornado.
As contractors cut the metal roof, some of the sparks from the cutting operation landed on boxes that were in the building, a Baton Rouge Fire Department spokesman said Saturday evening. The boxes started smoldering.
Firefighters extinguished the fire shortly after 1:30 p.m. No injuries were reported.