BATON ROUGE, LA — BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo is working hard to get everything ready for the public to come back with modifications.
The BR Zoo has been closed since March 17 and is scheduled to reopen next week.
According to the Baton Rouge Zoo, “the Zoo plans to re-open for Friends of the Zoo Members only May 18 through May 20 & re-open to the public on May 21.”
BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo is following guidelines laid out by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Louisiana Department of Health (LDH).
With that in mind here are the modifications that guests will see when they go to the BR Zoo:
- Safari Playground, Cypress Bayou Railroad, L’aquarium de Louisiane, Otter Cabin & Kids’ Zoo Contact Yard may be temporarily closed.
- Keeper chats & amphitheater shows will be temporarily suspended.
- Flamingo Café & Cool Critters Café will be open with a limited menu & properly adjusted outdoor seating.
- The number of guests allowed in the Zoo will be limited to eliminate crowding.
- Constant disinfection of all touchable surfaces will occur in accordance with CDC & LA Department of Health guidance.
- Hand sanitation stations provided at multiple locations throughout the Zoo.
- A one-way path for all visitors will be enacted to avoid passing of guests.
- Installation of protective panels where face-to-face interactions most frequently take place.
- Implementation of barriers near exhibit viewing areas with glass to limit touching.
- Creation of public markers to serve as social distancing reminders.
- Zoo staff will wear face shields.
- Guests are encouraged to wear mask face coverings to protect our staff & animals.
Hours for the Baton Rouge Zoo can be found here.