The warm weather is back for the most part and that means getting outside and enjoying the nice weather.
For some, that means getting on your bike and going for a ride around the Capital City.
Did you know Louisiana ranks third in the nation for adult bicycling deaths?
Before you go for that ride, consider looking at these safety tips provided by Bike Baton Rouge.
TIPS FOR BICYCLISTS
- Always ride with traffic, not against it
- (RS 32:197 Riding on Roadways and Bicycle Paths)
- 23% of bike fatalities involve a bicyclist riding illegally against traffic
- Always use front and rear lights when it’s dark
- (RS 32:329 Bicycles; front lamps; side and rear reflectors; rear lamps)
- 50% of bike fatalities occur outside of daylight hours
For motorists, keep a close eye on bicyclists and give them room on the road.
TIPS FOR MOTORISTS
- Pass bicyclists safely, with at least three feet of clearance
- RS 32:76.1 Limitations on passing bicycles
- 40% of bike fatalities involve an impact from behind
- Look for bicyclists at all times, particularly at intersections and driveways
- 44% of bike fatalities occur at intersections
“We wanted to keep things really simple with our safety tips to give maximum impact from a small and easily digestible amount of information.” said Mika Torkkola, Bike Baton Rouge President, “And we wanted to acknowledge that both bicyclists and motorists have the responsibility to avoid causing crashes on our roads.”
This last little tidbit is for everyone from Bike Baton Rouge.
TIPS FOR EVERYONE
- Don’t bike or drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- RS 14:98— Operating a vehicle while intoxicated
- 35% of bike fatalities involve a drunk driver or bicyclist
Lastly and most importantly, Bike Baton Rouge said, “treat all other road users with care and respect!“