SACRAMENTO (CNN) — A Sacramento 10-year-old is being hailed as a hero after he helped save a young girl from drowning at his apartment complex pool.
“I went underwater and then I swimmed around, then I seen her and I thought she was playing around,” said Patrick Brewer.
But 4-year-old Yazari Wright wasn’t playing around.
She’d wandered into the deep end of the pool and couldn’t swim.
But this 10-year-old, self described ‘fish,’ pulled her to the top and out of the pool.
He called for help.
“I said ‘I think she’s dying’ and they got her out of my hands,” Brewer said.
Makeya Richardson, who just finished CPR classes, was one of a few people who rushed to her side.
“I knew it right there and I took my little hands and I made them a little bit smaller just for her,” she said.
Finally, the little girl started to cough and open her eyes Friday Brewer was celebrated for his quick thinking and made an honorary firefighter.
He was also reunited with little Yazari.
For live, loca news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free news from the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- VIDEO: SUSPECTED ‘PEEPING TOM’ SEEN AT GIRL’S WINDOW IN CAMPBELL
- BABY DIES AFTER BEING LEFT IN HOT CAR FOR 16 HOURS
- WARRIORS PART-OWNER FINED, BANNED FROM GAMES FOR 1 YEAR
- COUPLE SAYS THEY GOT SICK AT SAME RESORT WHERE 3 AMERICANS DIED
- SHERIFF’S DEPUTY BITTEN BY SNAKE WHILE LOOKING FOR MARIJUANA GROW