BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo is still open to the public, despite widespread closures brought about by the COVID-19 outbreak.
The Zoo has, however, closed its aquarium and canceled its upcoming 50th birthday celebration, Zippity ZooFest.
BREC’s director of marketing and public relations, Robyn Lott, wrote that the Zoo is taking extra precautions to keep its visitors and staff safe. Those measures are as follows:
- Increasing the frequency of cleaning in high-touch areas throughout the Zoo
- Increasing the availability of hand-sanitizers in guest areas and offices
- Communicating best practices for maintaining healthy work environments to staff/volunteers
- Following all Federal, State and Local recommendations
- Closely monitoring real-time updates from the Centers for Disease Control
- Constant monitoring of this very fluid situation