BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Louisiana continues to be ravaged by COVID-19 in our communities and hospitals.
Baton Rouge General is getting hit hard and these numbers from Monday courtesy of the hospital show how the situation is unfolding for the hospital:
- 180 total COVID patients across BRG’s two hospitals
- 154 of them are unvaccinated
- 43% of these patients are in the ICU
- At the peak of the first surge (April 26, 2020), 17% of our COVID patients were in the ICU
- At the peak of the second surge (Aug. 4, 2020), 34% of our COVID patients were in the ICU
- At the peak of the third surge (Dec. 11, 2020), 24% of our COVID patients were in the ICU
- 28 COVID ICU patients are on ventilators
Since Friday, Baton Rouge General has seen a decrease in patients from 198 to 181.
While on the surface this may seem like good news, BRG says, “that decline is coming from our non-ICU beds.”
The ICU at Baton Rouge General remains totally full.
BRG says they are “working on adding new ICU beds to accommodate the growing need.”
As of Monday, August 16, COVID Hospitalizations in Baton Rouge General, Ochsner and Our Lady of the Lake are still high.
The latest numbers can be found below:
In terms of the state, Louisiana set another record on Monday, according to the Louisiana Department of Health:
Ochsner Health is holding a briefing at 2:15 p.m. which will focus on the “third doses of the COVID-19 vaccine for immunocompromised people.”