BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Baton Rouge General’s new High-Risk Breast Clinic is aiming to help those who are at higher risk of developing breast disease.
The new clinic is found on BRG’s Mid City campus inside the Family Health Center.
According to the hospital, this new facility will provide “specialized care to women at risk for developing breast disease and who are underinsured or uninsured.”
That specialized care ranges from screenings to surgeries.
Baton Rouge General is providing some risk factors to keep an eye on when it comes to breast disease:
- Family history of breast cancer or ovarian cancer.
- Patients who are over 50, as breast cancer risk increases with age.
- Those with genetic mutations such as BRCA1 and BRCA2.
- Patients who started a menstrual cycle before the age of 12 and started menopause after 55.
- Patients with dense breasts.
- Those with a personal history of breast cancer or non-cancerous breast diseases.
- Previous treatment using radiation therapy.
- Obesity after menopause.
- Patients taking hormones for more than five years (those with both estrogen and progesterone)
“While hospitals focus on another COVID surge, we have to press on for patients with other diseases, like cancer, as we help them fight for their health in a healthcare world that’s short on staff and resources,” said Dr. Bonner. “By opening this clinic, we’re helping break down barriers to care and ensure that all patients with breast cancer or at high risk for the disease have access the same high-quality care and expertise.”
BRG’s Mid City campus is located at 3401 North Blvd., Suite 200.