MIAMI (CNN) — Miami-Dade police officers are being recognized for preventing a tragedy last Saturday. They were responding to a call about a 19-year-old man in distress near an expressway.
Officer Randy Pineyro and Sergeant Cheryl Diaz found the man barely hanging on to the ledge of a highway overpass. This is body camera footage of their heart-stopping rescue.
After they repeatedly told the man “don’t do it” officer Pineyro sprang into action and grabbed the man’s arm. The officers then worked together to pull the man to safety.
He was taken to a local hospital for a psychiatric evaluation. Miami-Dade Police Director Alfredo Ramirez recognized the officers in a tweet on Monday, saying quote “I’m extremely proud, although not surprised, of the officers’ heroic acts to save a human life!”
- Saints set to play Sunday in the Superdome
- ‘Lord watch over him’: 62-year-old man on lawnmower hit, killed in crash
- Tropical Storm Epsilon takes form over Central Atlantic
- Numbers show huge early voting numbers statewide
- St. John the Baptist students return to classes in phases