CENTRAL, La. (BRPROUD) – On Tuesday, a school bus transporting students got into an accident at the intersection of Greenwell Springs Rd. and Wax Rd.
The Mayor of Central, David Barrow, is fed up and wants to see changes made to Greenwell Springs Rd.
Barrow asks “how many more crashes and fatalities have to happen before this roadway is improved?”
The mayor backs up his question with these instances of accidents that have occurred on this road:
- A sign company truck in the ditch took out a traffic signal
- A utility truck in the ditch flipped over
- A loaded school bus ended up in the ditch
- Two major crashes involving passenger cars that tied up rush-hour traffic for hours
- One person died after their vehicle caught fire in a crash
- Another vehicle fire caused by a crash resulted in serious injuries for 2 people
Mayor Barrow says, “This highway has been on the books for over 25 years to be widened by the state, yet nothing!”
Barrow claims there is no room for error while driving on Greenwell Springs Rd.
The mayor is asking for funding to upgrade this road where “too many crashes are happening.”
“With all the money thrown around in the state, Greenwell Springs Rd. could use some of it,” said Barrow.
The Central mayor understands that driver error plays a part in these accidents.
Despite that, Barrow says, “this curvy roadway has plenty of room for improvements that should have been done years ago.”