GONZALES, La. (BRPROUD) – The City of Gonzales recently issued baseball and softball guidelines to take effect today. These measures are meant to limit the spread of COVID-19 while allowing the sports to continue.
Find a complete list of the guidelines below:
1. There shall be no physical contact between players and coaches. No handshakes, highfives, fist bumps, etc.
2. There shall be no “pre” or “post” meetings as a team.
3. There shall be no more than 6 players in a practice drill. Head coaches and assistants should practice their 6 or less groups in separate areas, then rotate stations while maintaining social distancing.
4. Dugouts can be used ONLY to store equipment. Players are not permitted to sit in the dugouts. Coaches should separate players down the outfield fences down the baselines, with an assistant coach making sure the players are social distancing and protecting players from balls hit down the fence line
5. Teams waiting to play or practice shall not enter the field until all players and coaches from the previous practice or game have left the field.
6. TeeBall and Coaches Pitch leagues will not use a catcher during practices or games. Coaches will be stationed next to the backstop and retrieve balls not in play. Coaches should teach the pitcher or other designated player to cover home plate during play.
7. Parents are strongly encouraged to purchase a batting helmet for their child. This eliminates sharing a city-issued helmet. Players using a city-issued helmet will have that helmet cleaned and sanitized before that helmet is used again.
8. Parents are asked to provide their coach with a container of disinfectant wipes for their team at some point during the season .
9. Balls will be swapped out frequently and sanitized properly.
10. In the older group, catcher’s equipment can be shared with a teammate ONLY after that equipment is properly sanitized.
11. The umpire will be stationed between the pitchers mound and second base and will maintain proper social distancing from players.
12. Bleacher seating will be monitored by the park director to maintain social distancing. Bleachers will be marked to indicated “OFF LIMITS” rows.
13. Parents and fans are encouraged to bring lawn chairs and sit along the fence lines using the 6 foot social distancing guidelines.