BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Over the years, Louisiana’s many wooded areas and bayous have been utilized by countless hunters and anglers, resulting in the state’s nickname: Sportsman’s Paradise.
Recent statistics indicate that 8.5 percent of residents in Sportsman’s Paradise are owners of an official hunting license.
And now that more people in Louisiana are struggling with poverty and a lack of access to healthy food, community leaders are calling on skilled local hunters for assistance.
According to Hunters for the Hungry, Sunday, September 25 has been set aside for capital area hunters to participate in “Clean Out Your Freezer Day” between the hours of 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
The special event invites hunters to share any protein they’ve caught and stored in their freezers with people who don’t have enough to eat.
They’re asked to bring proteins to drop-off points that will be set up at the locations listed below:
· Mike the Tiger’s Cage, LSU Campus
· Bowie Outfitters, 8630 Perkins Rd
· CCA Louisiana, 12241 Industriplex
· Baton Rouge Fire Department, 835 Sharp Rd
· Baton Rouge Fire Department, 5758 Claycut
· Central Fire Department, 11646 Sullivan Rd
· St. George Fire Department, 7027 Antioch Rd
· St. George Fire Department, 9214 Jefferson Highway
· St. George Fire Department, 16415 George O’Neal Lane
· Zachary Fire Department, 4525 Main Street
· Cabela’s, Gonzales
· Bass Pro Shops, Denham Springs
· Feliciana Seafood, St. Francisville
· Red Boot Deli, 12430 St. Helena St, Clinton
All items will be donated to the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank and then distributed to their local agencies.
Click here for more information on Clean Out Your Freezer Day.