BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) – The trial continues Thursday for a man who was accused of killing and dismembering his wife in 2011. 

Oscar Lozada is facing second-degree murder charges for the death of West Baton Rouge teacher Sylviane Finck Lozada. 

Detectives believe Lozada strangled and sawed his wife’s body before putting her in buckets with cement and disposing of the remains in bodies of water along the I-10 toward New Orleans. 

The state showed proof to the courtroom of Lozada abusing Finck prior to her death. 

Finck went to the Our Lady of the Lake hospital in 2009 with injuries sustained from a domestic abuse incident by Lozada. The East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office wrote a report at the time of the incident, but Finck told deputies that she did not want to press charges, according to the testimony. 

According to the deputy on the witness stand, Lozada admitted to striking Finck and excused his behavior by telling the deputy that he “lost his temper” and “snapped.”

This wasn’t the only time reports of domestic abuse or violence came from the couple’s home. Witnesses testified in court that three reports of Lozada abusing his wife were notes, but he was never arrested by Finck’s request. 

After Finck went missing, the lead detective on the case, Maj. Todd Morris with the EBR Sheriff’s Office found a USB on Finck’s desk at work. The recording that was played for the court captured an argument between Lozada and Finck the day she checked herself into the hospital in 2009. In the seven-minute video, you can hear Lozada yelling at Finck saying “respect me” and using profanity. Finck can be heard briefly asking Lozada to “mind your language,” in reference to the sting of profanities sprinkled in the recording. 

Fast forward to 2011, Lozada had been seen on cameras at Lowe’s purchasing buckets, cement, and locks the day after detectives believe Finck was killed. He then took their four-year-old daughter to Chuck E. Cheese. 

Before the authorities were able to press charges, Lozada took their daughter and fled to his home country, Venezuela, where he could not be extradited. 

In 2016, authorities were alerted Lozada was in Mexico but he left his daughter in Venezuela with her grandmother. When the child was reunited with her father in Mexico, authorities were able to arrest Lozada and bring them both back to the states. 

That’s when Lozada sat down with Major Morris in a white windowless room at the Louisiana State Police headquarters. He began to open up about what happened the day detectives believe Finck was killed. The end of the recording is said to capture Lozada confessing to killing his late wife. The court heard the majority of the recording, but the judge dismissed the court until Friday to hear the last hour and a half.