NEW ORLEANS — We know a lot about our state’s French heritage, but how much do you know about the history of Los Islenos in St. Bernard Parish?
In this week’s Destination Louisiane, WGNO’s Christopher Leach went down to the bottom of Louisiana to hear a story that began over four thousand miles and away, in the Canary Islands.
In the 1400’s the volcanic Canary Islands were the first settlement on what would become the Spanish Empire.
And by 1778, Canary Islanders, or Los Islenos, settled across the globe, in what is now St. Bernard Parish, Llouisiana.
Today, the original founders of the Louisiana Spanish Society rest in St. Bernard Catholic Cemetery.
- Tigers Sweep Events in Win Over Georgia
- 1 killed after Las Vegas-based bus rolls over near Grand Canyon, 44 transported to medical center
- LPSO investigating rash of nighttime burglaries at Le Triomphe
- Baylor added to 2021 LSU Baseball Schedule
- Friday Night: Cloudy and foggy tonight; Slightly drier for weekend