BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) – The last day of a busy hurricane season is making way for an early winter.
A large part of the state of Louisiana is under a freeze warning Monday night, bringing the coldest temperatures so far this fall.
“We’re worried about people having fires in their homes because they are not using their heating appliances properly,” said Justin Hill with the Baton Rouge Fire Department.
Hill said space heaters are a big concern. The state Fire Marshal’s office posted advice on twitter.
Place space heaters 3-5 feet from combustible objects like blankets.
Plug all heating appliances directly into wall outlets, not power strips or extension cords
Do not use stoves or ovens to heat homes.
Hill explained, “That’s just not a safe practice. It not only could cause a fire, but it could not be burning properly and you can get that carbon monoxide building up into your house. It’s just not something we encourage you to do.”
Hill said you may have a slight smell when you’re turning on your heat for the first time in several months. They key is never leaving an open flame unattended.
“If you’ve got that fire place going make sure it’s completely out before you leave the room and go to sleep. Just make sure those heating appliances are checked out by a professional before you start using them before it causes a problem,” said Hill.
- Monday Morning: Partly cloudy & very warm; Heavy rain & strong storms Tuesday-Wednesday
- Va. police officer fired after Black Army officer pepper-sprayed during stop
- Two children injured in overnight fire on Fountain Ave., search for family dog remains ongoing
- BRPD charges man in deadly weekend stabbing
- Candlelight prayer vigil takes place for missing LSU student after day long search