The Louisiana Workforce Commission reminds individuals impacted by severe storms in Louisiana parishes that the deadline to apply for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is approaching. Please see below for deadline details.
Deadline: Wednesday, March 15, 2017
A uniform deadline of 11:59 p.m. CST Wednesday, March 15, 2017, is in effect for the following Orleans and Livingston parishes.
DUA is available to individuals who:
- Worked or were self-employed or were scheduled to begin work or self-employment;
- Can no longer work or perform services because of physical damage or destruction to the place of employment as a direct result of the disaster;
- Establish that the work or self-employment they no longer can perform was their principal source of income;
- Do not qualify for regular unemployment benefits from any state;
- Cannot perform work or self-employment because of an injury as a direct result of the disaster; or,
- Who became the breadwinner or major support of a household because of the death of the head of household.
Applications filed after the deadline, will be considered untimely and DUA benefits may be denied, unless the individual provides good cause for filing after that date.
Applicants must submit their Social Security number, check stubs, and documentation to support the claim that they were working or self-employed when the disaster occurred. In some cases, additional documentation may be required.
To receive DUA benefits, all required documentation must be submitted with 21 days from the date the DUA application is filed.
Disaster unemployment assistance is available from weeks of unemployment beginning February 12, 2017, up to August 12, 2017, as long as the individual’s unemployment continues to be a result of the disaster.
To file for disaster unemployment assistance, applicants should apply online at www.laworks.net or call the Benefits Analysis Team at 1-866-783-5567 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. CST. Additional information is available at www.laworks.net. Personal assistance is available through local Business and Career Solutions Centers.