(WJW) — The latest TikTok trend is proving to be dangerous for some.
The trend is called “dry scooping.”
With the trend, users ingest a mouthful of pre-workout supplement powder without mixing it with liquid.
Self reports that doctors say the protein supplements are meant to be taken diluted in water. They are meant to give people an energy boost before a workout.
When taken alone, the powder can create rapid heartbeat, chest pain and dizziness. It can also cause cough-like reactions.
One TikTok user, brivtny, said she actually had a heart attack due to the challenge.
In another video, a man is challenged to eat a scoop of mango habanero powder in exchange for a free energy drink. He did successfully finish the challenge.
It’s not the first dangerous TikTok challenge. Last year, authorities in Massachusetts warned users about a challenge involving the plug portion of a phone charger. Users would partially insert it into the wall, then slide a penny down the wall onto the prongs causing sparks or fire.
Charges were even filed in one case.