Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome, the Mayor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (MOHSEP), and all East Baton Rouge Parish first responders and stakeholders are closely monitoring the tropical disturbance currently in the Gulf of Mexico.
The National Weather Service New Orleans is forecasting the disturbance to develop over the next five days and move westward towards Texas and Louisiana. The NWS is currently forecasting an increased chance of rain for East Baton Rouge Parish during the latter part of the week into the weekend. Local officials will continue to monitor the disturbance, communicate with stakeholders, and share updates as forecasts change.
Mayor Broome advises East Baton Rouge Parish citizens to review their emergency plans, stock disaster supply kits with the necessary items, and use the Buddy System™ by checking on family, friends, and neighbors as a precaution.
“Now is the time to follow our Red Stick Ready tips if you don’t already have a plan in place for your family,” said Mayor-President Broome. “As a City-Parish, we are internally preparing our resources and assets in the instance that we need to take immediate actions. We are committed to ensuring the safety of all residents, and we encourage the public to help in ensuring our community is prepared.”
Mayor Broome highlighted the following as the 2019 Hurricane Preparedness Tips:
- Make a Family Communication Plan
- Restock your emergency supply kit with the necessary items.
- Three day supply of non-perishable food and water for each member in your family and/or household
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Important Documents
- Make sure your home is prepared
- Trim or remove damaged trees and limbs.
- Secure and clear all gutters.
- Fuel your vehicles, generators, and gas cans. Consider purchasing a portable generator.
- Use the BuddySystem™ to check on your neighbors, friends and family.
- Check your insurance coverage.
- Stay informed with real time information by:
Visit redstickready.com for information and preparedness tips.