BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The East Baton Rouge Parish Housing Authority received a Junior League of Baton Rouge Community Assistance grant to invest in safe baby cribs and bedding for local families in need.
“East Baton Rouge Parish has a disturbingly high infant mortality rate, twice the national average,” EBRPHA CEO J. Wesley Daniels Jr. said. “We are grateful to the Junior League for this award of nearly $5,000 to purchase 18 new safe cribs, mattresses, and bedding for babies who were not in cribs or playpens and were sleeping with parents or other siblings.”
The beds that EBRPHA will supply to families convert to beds for toddlers, according to a press release from EBRPHA.
EBRPHA’s outreach efforts will also include training on the dangers of bed-sharing and how to safely position infants during sleep to prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, the release reveals.
- Man struck by pickup truck in Livingston Parish
- Biden surprises Elton John with National Humanities Medal
- NYPD finds woman’s dismembered body parts in suitcases; search is on for boyfriend, according to police sources
- Man found shot to death inside vehicle in Ascension Parish
- Bargain hunter finds 700-year-old medieval manuscript at estate sale