Tropical storm Barry has now formed along the Gulf Coast and while the brunt of the storm is not expected to make impact until early Saturday, East Baton Rouge Parish officials are reminding everyone of free sand bags now available.
In a post on the Red Stick Ready Facebook page, emergency management officials said the public works department is working “diligently to ensure” locations are stocked.
As of 11:15 a.m. on July 11, the following locations were considered stocked and fully available to the public:
• BREC Airline Highway Fairgrounds – 16072 Airline Highway
• BREC Alsen Park – 601 Old Rafe Mayer Road
• BREC Cadillac Street – 6117 Cadillac Street
• BREC Doyles Bayou Park – 7801 Port Hudson-Pride Road
• BREC Flannery Road Park – 801 S Flannery Road
• BREC Hartley-Vey at Gardere Park – 1702 Gardere Lane
• BREC Lovett Road Park – 13443 Lovett Road
• BREC Memorial Stadium – 1702 Foss Street
• St. George Fire HQ – 14100 Airline Highway
Sand is available at the following locations for Baker Residents:
• 1507 Mississippi St. at the Public Works Yard
• 3325 Groom Rd. Behind City Hall
As a reminder, people are encouraged to bring their own shovels in order to fill the bags with sand themselves.
Real-time sandbag locations can be found at http://gis.brla.gov/emergency.