BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – A member of the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office initiated a traffic stop in the 5000 block of McClelland Dr. on Friday, December 9.

The traffic stop involved a Black Dodge Avenger with four occupants.

One of those occupants was a passenger named Jaharel Flowers, 18, of Baton Rouge.

The deputy who made the stop stated that Flowers was seen “reaching down below the front passenger side as if he was tucking something in the back of the front passenger seat,” according to the affidavit.

As the stop unfolded, the deputy caught a whiff of what was thought to be marijuana coming from the Dodge Avenger.

The deputy opened the back right passenger door where Flowers was seated and “observed a baby bottle tucked under the front passenger seat,” according to the affidavit.

The deputy suspected that the bottle contained Promethazine.

Flowers got out of the vehicle and was detained by the deputy.

The other three occupants were also detained and a search of all four occupants did not uncover anything illegal.

When asked if anything was in the vehicle, all four occupants said, “not that they know of,” according to the affidavit.

Two deputies then searched the Dodge Avenger and these items were uncovered:

  • One baby bottle filled with suspected promethazine (3 fl. oz.)
  • Partially smoked suspected marjuana cigar
  • 2 bags of suspected marijuana (10.3 g)
  • 1 plastic baggie of suspected marijuana (2.5 g)
  • 1 plastic baggie of suspected marijuana (2.9 g)
  • Black F&N 509 9mm handgun with 12 live rounds

Flowers confessed that he owned everything which was seized from the vehicle.

The Baton Rouge man admitted that “the suspected marijuana was for personal use,” according to the affidavit.

The 18-year-old was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on the day after the traffic stop.

Flowers was charged with Illegal Carrying of Weapons (with CDS), Sale, Distribution, Or Possession Of Legend Drug Without Prescription Or Order and Possession of Marijuana.

The Baton Rouge man was released from prison on Sunday, December 11, after posting $17,530 bond.

The Baton Rouge Police Department provided assistance during this traffic stop.