BATON ROUGE, La. (KTVE/KARD) — The first proposed amendment to the Louisiana constitution deals with abortion.
Here is what will appear on the ballot when you go to vote:
Ballot Language: “Do you support an amendment declaring that, to protect human life, a right to
abortion and the funding of abortion shall not be found in the Louisiana Constitution?” (Adds Article I, Section 20.1)
This is the official proposal:
Proposed Amendment No. 1
Act 447 (HB 425, 2019 Regular Session by Representative Jackson) – Proposed constitutional
amendment provides that, to protect human life, nothing in present constitution shall be construed to secure or protect a right to abortion or require the funding of abortion. (Adds Const. Art. I, §20.1)
What does this mean to you?
A “yes” vote supports adding language to the Louisiana Constitution stating that “nothing in this constitution shall be construed to secure or protect a right to abortion or require the funding of abortion.”
A “no” vote opposes adding language to the Louisiana Constitution stating that “nothing in this constitution shall be construed to secure or protect a right to abortion or require the funding of abortion.”
Basically, lawmakers want to add a sentence to the Louisiana Declaration of Rights that would say the state’s constitution would not protect a right to an abortion or the funding of abortions.
“What about Roe v. Wade?” you might be asking. Well, the now-famous case protects abortion in the U.S. Constitution in the 14th amendment. There are ten states where their constitutions agree with the 14th amendment. If a state’s constitution has a sentence saying it would not be protected if Roe v. Wade was overturned, then that state would not have to protect abortion rights.
Other items on the ballot:
- Amendment 1: No Right to Abortion in Constitution Amendment
- Amendment 2: Include Oil and Gas Value in Tax Assessment of Wells Amendment
- Amendment 3: Use of Budget Stabilization Fund for Declared Disasters Amendment
- Amendment 4: Expenditures Limit Growth Formula Amendment
- Amendment 5: Payments in Lieu of Property Taxes Option Amendment
- Amendment 6: Homestead Exemption Special Assessment Income Limit Amendment
- Amendment 7: Unclaimed Property Permanent Trust Fund Amendment
- Sports Betting
- White House and Congress express confidence in health officials in wake of pause on J&J vaccines
- Louisiana Purchase Gardens and Zoo to host head-shaving event this Saturday to help kids with cancer
- WATCH: 78-year-old rideshare operator brutally dragged during carjacking in Louisiana
- ‘Roll Up Your Sleeves’ vaccination special to include President Biden and Former President Obama
- Louisiana man among two who died after being pulled from the Gulf of Mexico