Exclusive: Family and attorney of man killed by a Baton Rouge Police Officer say, they were left in the dark during the investigation


“Get down, get your a** down I’m going to hit you again.”

“You didn’t have to do that to my child, that was mine that God gave to me and you took his life.”

Sitting side by side holding hands with tears falling from their eyes.

“You left me with pieces I don’t have an answer to.”

The family of Calvin Toney says, following a two year investigation, they still have questions.

“It opened up wounds that me and family were trying to path up but we never could patch up because we never had an answer” said Waconda Toney, mother of Calvin Toney.

Wednesday afternoon, East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore, released a 16 page report, detailing what witnesses said happened. The DA’s office also released never before seen body cam footage.

“Look at the video footage, you know, I’m glad for us that we had all of that. Imagine looking at this case without it. Looking at this case without any of the body cam coverage, we’ll be in a different position” said District Attorney Hillar Moore.

Attorney Carol Powell Lexing represents the Toney family. She said, like the family, she too has questions after she was left in the dark during the investigation.

“We were highly disappointed that it took the District Attorney’s Office. It took two years before this family could even find out what happened to their loved one” said Lexing.

According to the DA’s report. In 2017, 24-year-old Calvin Toney was at a home where a social worker was conducting a visit. That worker then asked for police assistance after noticing Toney, who was not listed as a resident of the home.

According to the Baton Rouge Police Department’s responding officer, Darrell Carter’s body camera. Toney attempted to run out of the home, that’s when the officer grabbed him, leading to a struggle.

“An officer has the right to stop someone who just immediately flees when the officer come without any explanation” said Moore. 

The DA’s report confirms, the body cam video only shows a glimpse of what happened before it falls to the ground. The family attorney said, it should not have taken two years to piece it together.

“It should not have taken the District Attorney’s Office two years to come up with findings that basically white wash what happened and why” said Lexing.

Speaking exclusively about her son’s death for the first time in two years, Toney said, she won’t rest until she knows what happened during those final moments the camera went black.

“I won’t stop doing that until god calls me home.”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories