BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – The St. George Fire Department responded to a house fire on Friday morning.

The fire took place at a home in the 10000 block of Sandhill Ct.

“Upon arrival, Squad 605 found fire showing from the front of the home in the garage area,” according to the St. George Fire Department.

A water hose was seen down the length of Sandhill Ct. along with fire trucks and other first responders.

It took around twenty minutes for firefighters to get the fire under control.

SGFD says, “The occupants of the home were all out and safe when crews arrived.”

A neighbor said she heard a boom on two occasions and her home lights briefly flickered around 6:30 a.m.

One firefighter was evaluated by EMS and subsequently taken to a local hospital.

The firefighter was considered to be in stable condition.

SGFD was joined by EMS and East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office at the scene.

Red Cross was asked to come to the scene and provide help to those who were displaced by the fire.

Fire investigators determined that an improperly discarded cigarette was to blame for this early morning fire.