BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Tuesday is a monumental day in the history of LSU and the SEC.
Dr. William Tate IV officially took over as President of LSU and the first African American university President in the SEC.
President Tate spent the first part of the day with the media inside the Student Union. Along with that morning gathering, LSU said President Tate “will spend his first day meeting with various campus leadership groups made up of faculty, staff and students.”
President Tate replaces the now President Emeritus, Tom Galligan.
His accomplishments in his background included:
- Serving as Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost at the University of South Carolina since July 2020.
- Receiving his Ph.D. in mathematics education from the University of Maryland
- Earning Master of Arts in Teaching from the University of Texas at Dallas
- Securing Master of Psychiatric Epidemiology from Washington University School of Medicine
- Obtaining Bachelor of Science in economics from Northern Illinois University