Girl, 9, dies from electrocution in pool


A 9-year-old girl died Sunday when she was electrocuted while swimming at her father’s home in California.

Sacramento Metro Fire Officials said McKenzie Kinley had been shocked by a wire attached to an underwater pool light that was under repair. Four other children were present.

“I just fell to my knees,” said family friend Janie Perduta. “It was just as bad if would (she) have been my own granddaughter.”

Family and friends remember McKenzie as a “spitfire” who liked to stay active. The cheerleader, soccer player and talent show emcee was looking forward to fifth grade at a local grammar school.

“All the kids that don’t have friends have lost their only friend,” said her mother’s best friend, Serena Kruger. “And she was that person. If she could make somebody smile, she would.”

McKenzie’s friend, 12-year-old Aaron Hernandez, told KCRA: “She was just so kind and loving and she could be friends with anyone that she met no matter what.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories