BATON ROUGE, La. (KLFY) — Gov. John Bel Edwards has declared a state of emergency in Louisiana in advance of Tropical Depression Cristobal making landfall in the state. The storm is expected to hit Louisiana in the early morning hours Monday as a tropical storm.
“While it is still too early to know for sure what impact Cristobal could have on Louisiana, now is the time to make your plans, which should include the traditional emergency items along with masks and hand sanitizer as we continue to battle the coronavirus pandemic,” Gov. Edwards said. “A flash flood watch has already been issued for a large part of the state, and heavy rain is expected. It is critically important for the people of Louisiana to be aware of this tropical threat. Our state, local and federal partners have spent the past several days working with local governments and emergency officials preparing for issues related to this and the ongoing COVID-19 emergency. They are ready to respond as needed.”
In a press release, Edwards said he will meet with the Unified Command Group Friday over both Cristobal and COVID-19 followed by a press conference at 2:30 p.m.
A list of tropical weather supplies, evacuation information and other critical information can be found on the www.getagameplan.org website. No evacuations have currently been issued for Cristobal.
Here are some examples of what you and your family may need in the event you must evacuate or shelter in place:
- A three to five- day supply of water (one gallon per person per day) and food that won’t spoil
- A supply of face coverings, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes due to COVID-19 concerns
- One change of clothing and footwear per person, and one blanket or sleeping bag per person
- A first aid kit that includes your family’s prescription medications
- Emergency tools including a battery-powered radio, flashlight and plenty of extra batteries
- An extra set of car keys and a credit card, cash or traveler’s checks
- Sanitation supplies
- Special items for infant, elderly or disabled family members
- An extra pair of glasses
- Important family documents in a portable, waterproof container
- Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
- Paper and pencil
- Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children
- Infant formula and diapers
- Pet food and extra water