BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — A Hammond man died in West Baton Rouge Parish Friday after his vehicle rear-ended a car in front of him, causing a chain reaction of crashes among cars stopped in traffic.
Claude Brewer, 58, was traveling eastbound on I-10 shortly before 3 p.m. when, for unknown reasons, he failed to brake when approaching stopped traffic. His vehicle, a Ford Transit van, crashed into a 2018 Nuco commercial motor vehicle. That vehicle struck a 2018 Dodge van, which struck a 2017 Dodge Ram, according to Louisiana State Police.
Brewer was properly restrained but died at the scene. The other drivers were also all properly restrained, and none of them were injured.
LSP does not suspect impairment to be a factor in the crash, but a toxicology sample was still taken from Brewer as part of an ongoing investigation into the crash.
- BRPD identifies person killed in crash on I-12 West
- Police department in Louisiana announces passing of officer while on duty
- Barge stuck on dam causes flooding in Alabama and Mississippi
- Louisiana man arrested after an eventful trip to Academy Sports and Pizza Hut
- Parents crowdfund for their son in need of a transplant