BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The Better Business Bureau (BBB) is warning people about COVID-19 test scams. BBB officials say these scams can steal your personal information or provide inaccurate test results.
The FBI has previously issued a warning about COVID-19 testing-related fraud schemes. Other than giving you a test that can produce inaccurate results, scammers can steal personal information, health insurance or Medicare information.
The BBB said COVID-19 test schemes appear to be a clinic or medical supply company distributing test kits — but there’s a catch. They require credit card information or a form filled with personal information.
All versions of this scam include a person or website with limited details on the COVID-19 tests offered, according to the BBB. There is a lack of information about how the test works, where it’s from and what laboratory processes it.
BBB tips on how to avoid fake COVID-19 tests:
- Want a test? Talk to your doctor. Reach out to your healthcare provider. They can help figure out if the test will be covered by insurance and where to find a legitimate clinic. If you don’t have a primary care physician, check out the Louisiana Health Department’s website for more information on testing availability.
- Research before buying. Scammers put pressure on people to buy or commit without giving them time to do further research. Before agreeing to anything, investigate first. Research any claims the company makes.
- Understand all options: The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has a detailed guide to testing for COVID-19. Understand the different tests available.
- Never share your personal information with strangers. Only make purchases and share your personal information with people and companies you know and trust.
- Check claims of FDA approval. Per the FBI, “Not all COVID-19 antibody tests have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and their efficacy has not been determined.” Check the FDA website for a list of approved tests and testing companies.